Here's a review on the much- hyped last sequel to the Harry Potter series.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.The book that we were all waiting for.The long-awaited ending to Harry Potter,boy wizard's epic adventure.The book about which rave reviews were printed(and previews,if you count the one which came out before the official release). And yet,I feel strangely let down.
Sure, there's lots of action and excitement, and the content is brilliant-a fine conclusion to this bestselling series.
But it seems that Rowling's skill in the art of writing deserted her, at some points in the book.
Take the stay at the Burrow, for instance. Was there any reason to drag it on so?There was hardly anything of much importance there.The same goes for the wedding.
And come to think of that, even her sense of humor was pretty much in hibernation throughout the book. The JKR I know would have definitely made the wedding a lot less touchy-feely and cliched.
Moreover, I think a lot of the book was movie-dictated. Oh,Radcliffe and Watson have to kiss at least once- let's make them snog in the locket scene (even if it wasn't real).
And let's not feature Ginny much, Wright isn't exactly the most beautiful creature on earth. And speaking of Ginny, her character was so badly written! Where's the fiery Ginny whom we all know and love?! Why is she sitting there like a garden gnome, doing nothing more than flashing Harry 'radiant smiles'? Why did she not fight?! Even if Rowling didn't want to show her much, she could still have said she fought!
Then there's Voldemort and Harry. Personally, I think dear old Voldy is a complete rip-off on Hitler-all that stuff about pure-blood superiority and Muggle/Muggleborn killing-it's like the 'creation of a superior race' nonsense and the killing of Jews and the disabled. And Harry's 'death' reminds me of the story of Christ's resurrection.
Oh, and don't even mention the epilogue. 'Albus Severus'? The child shall be tormented ! 'James'? 'Lily'? 'Rose'? Be a little imaginative, please. Is this the Rowling who gave the names 'Hermione', 'Ginevra', 'Sirius' and 'Dumbledore'?
Not to mention, the epilogue was, again, touchy-feely. Only towards the climax did I really think the book was good. The climax was genius, real Rowling style-well written, intelligent, nail-biting, heartstring-tugging.
It was the only section of the book I really loved. And the characters of Ron and Snape were very well-written.
If only the rest of the book had been written the same way. . . and the really sad thing is, we all know that Rowling is capable of writing that well.
Overall, though, it was a good read. I suppose the only thing wrong was that it did not meet expectations.
But at least I can rate it as better than say, 'Princess Diaries'.
Moulshri
Saturday, August 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment